I got my new cat Oscar back in June. He was 11 when I got him from the Humane Society and a bit rough around the edges what with spending eight months waiting for someone to appreciate his unique qualities. Perhaps if they had known that he was a music critic someone might have found him first and I would have missed out on his delightful quirks and wonderful conversations like this one. I first discovered his talent while I was working on my What I Like column for Shopping Cart Disco at the computer in the kitchen. All of a sudden, I heard music playing from the bedroom and got up to check and there was Oscar sitting by the ipod which I have in a speaker base. How cute, I thought, he must have been rubbing his nose on it and turned it on.
Once he discovered that he could make noise with the ipod, though, he began to explore its capabilities. When I began this column this morning, he was at it again. I hear a song begin and perhaps three of four notes play and then the next song starts and another few notes play and the next song starts as he moves his way down until he finds something he likes. Gidge says he’s like a guy with a TV remote.
Something he likes? That sounds strange, doesn’t it? I would have thought so, too, but there’s over 15,000 songs on my ipod and he generally plays the same ones. Most of my music is rock, R&B and blues and he manages to play almost all indie with a brief infatuation with Aaron Neville. I have no illusion that he’s understanding the process, but he understands the result that poking about with that white box changes the sounds and he does it until there are sounds he likes.
The reason I think it’s deliberate is that he replays the same songs over and over. He has such strong preferences that the same song might get played three times in an hour. He’s been doing this for a few months now and basically these are the only songs he plays with a couple additions that were one time only. I think it’s clear he has a strong, though limited musical taste. Either that, or my ipod operates itself. And so here is the Oscar playlist. If you pull out Ave Maria, it’s actually a pretty consistent playlist that would work together fairly well. Anyone looking for a feline DJ?
- Fleet Foxes – Oliver James
- Fleet Foxes – Ragged Wood
- Jenny Lewis with Elvis Costello – Carpetbaggers (all time Oscar favorite)
- Jenny Lewis – Acid Tongue
- M. Ward with Zooey Deschanel – Rave On
- Aimee Mann – Going Through the Motions
- John Mayer – Slow Dancing in a Burning Room
- Aaron Neville – Ave Maria
- Elbow – Seldom Seen Kid
- Iron & Wine – Jesus the Mexican Boy
- Devendra Banhart – Long Haired Child
- Poses: Di’s Opera
- Skin: Adam n Eve Ariadne Cool Russet
- Eyes: Poetic colors
- Lashes: Lelutka
- Hair: :Exile:: Riot Girl:Roots-Persimmon
- Nails: Adam n Eve Ariadne Nails Mani & Pedi Russet
- Shoulder Shrug: SHI : ShoulderWrap_Beige
- Top: (Kunglers) Lavinia – top mauve
- Pants: Shi Pants_Final_Mustard
- Belt: .S H I – Pyton Waist Belt_Red
- Shoes: Baiastice-Nicki Ankle Boots
- Gauntlet – Nzuri Cajsa Gauntlet
- Earrings: Paper Couture P.C; Tulle Wrapped Earring
- Location Vader II –