So after Cajsa did her unbelievably thorough marketing pieces for Creators (mostly fueled by frustration- don’t get us started) it was mulling through both our minds that not only do Creators need some sort of SOP for marketing success, so do us bloggers.
This list is by no means comprehensive or complete. Blogging is a real time evolving thing. It changes month to month. Day to day even. You don’t have to write complete sentences to be a blogger. (see what I did there?)
Regardless, there are some things you can do to improve your blog’s marketing and traffic and I thought I’d list of some of those basics here.
First of all quit lying about not caring about traffic. If you didn’t care about traffic your blog would be private or invitation only. You DO care. The degree to which you care is what is going to motivate you to take steps to market your blog effectively, and how aggressively you market yourself.
We bloggers are peacocks of various ilk. That’s ok. It’s what we do. So then, where to start?
It’s valuable to belong to them, because not only can you put up links to your most recent posts, but through conversation and contact you’ll meet people who might enjoy your blog (and you theirs if they have them). You might also meet creators who find your blog a valuable resource for promoting their products. Be who you are, be real, don’t be a sycophant or a suck up. We hate those people.
A few I can think of are:
- Twitter – communicate with your friends list, get to know people with like interests and share your posts.
- Plurk – the same.
- Moolto – I personally joined and never have really much researched Moolto. You might like it – check it out.
- SLUniverse – I don’t belong to SLU – or I do and forget. However there is a really thriving and active community of SLers on there and it’s probably someplace I SHOULD join.
- The Official Second Life Forums – There is information from the banal to the totally fascinating being exchanged there. Give them more than a passing glance.
- There is also apparently some sort of social networking on the official viewer. I can’t USE the official viewer as it hates me, but I’d recommend checking it out. I have no idea what it looks like or how it works.
- Facebook – If your acct doesn’t get deleted, your avatar can have a facebook account and everything just like a REAL PERSON!
- Flickr – participate in liking and commenting on people’s work on Flickr. Join Flickr Groups that pertain or are relevant to your photographs. Comment on people’s pics!
- Other Blogs – yes, there are ARE other blogs. I’ve met some of the loveliest people I’ve ever known (looking at you Harper G) by reading SL blogs, commenting and then getting to know the author.
- IOF PSA: Marketing 101 for Bloggers – Social Networks
- Marketing 201 for Bloggers – Feeds, Fairs and Comments
- Marketing 301 for Bloggers – Designer Relationships and Review copies
- Marketing 401 for Bloggers – Using Flickr to increase traffic